Monday, July 17, 2006

Mortgage Training Should Not Be An Option

When I first started in this business, I signed a contract that stated that I would be "fully trained" by the company that I signed on with. What a surprise it was to find out that I was supposed to "fake it until I make it." Many times when I would ask for help I was told that the answers would come to me over time, and to speak with confidence - that way the customer would have confidence in me.

Prior to getting into the mortgage business, I studied real estate in two states, Oregon and California. I was required to take many hours of courses and to have a certificate of completion prior to taking any tests for my licensure. But years later, as I sat with a blank expression on my face in my mortgage broker's office, I found myself wondering something I'm sure I wasn't alone in: Why don't mortgage brokers and loan officers face such a rigorous learning program?? I still to this day have not come up with an answer.

Today, more than ever, I am pushing for loan officers and consumers alike to educate themselves. I would highly recommend that ALL borrowers take a class or two, do internet research, and talk to many loan officers before locking yourself in with the first LO you find. It's not enough anymore to "trust" that brokers and LO's know what they are doing, many of them do know what they are doing - and many times - it's not good. My father had the best advice growing up: "If you want something done right, do it yourself." I've rambled and vented, and I believe that my point is this: education, education, education. Whether you are an industry professional, or a consumer, if you are educated - even self educated - you stand a better chance at obtaining the desired results.

No comments: